Reply To: Phoenix is Under Rated! A Great Place for LGBT Retirees.

• Michael House

October 19, 2020 at 11:20 AM

Like any city, Phoenix has good parts and bad parts. I consider it relatively easy to live here and it’s hard to find a place that has what it offers. It’s far less stressful than the other major cities I’ve lived in.

Pros:

Streets laid out in a big grid. It’s easy to find your destination. 7-8 months of comfortable weather. Every shopping need imaginable. Every sports team and activity imaginable. Nearby park and recreational areas in most neighborhoods. Great airport to get you anywhere. Day drives to many other attractions and escapes. Average cost of living which is surprising for a desirable city. Personally, I love that I can get everything I need in a 5 mile radius and when I get home, it’s like I live in a small town (no noise).

Cons:

Climate change has made it hotter. I’ve noticed it in the last 15 years with 2020 being the worst heat and drought on record. With more people comes more traffic. We need even more freeways to span this 1,500 square mile area (we need an east-west freeway aligned with Northern Avenue). It’s taking far too long, but it is becoming politically progressive. I really hope that the newcomers will be able to upend the entrenched red politics.